Friday, August 14, 2015

Musical journey (61)

Today is my father's 28th death anniversary and he would have been 75 this year had he not died from colorectal cancer when I was eight years old. I did not really get to know him before he passed and as the years go by, my memories of him fade into an ever so faint tinge of a moustached and bespectacled taxi driver with a head full of oiled jet black hair perfectly combed back. However that is all I can remember and I cannot even recall how his voice sounded like. When a loved one leaves this world for the next, the best he or she can do is to leave behind fond memories that last forever in the hearts of those he or she touched. I have been deprived of these memories simply because I was too young then and he mostly worked night shifts and was asleep during my waking hours. I understand though that this is of no one's fault. How I wish I could remember him more...

In this month's musical journey, I had the pleasure of collaborating with a Sydney friend who wrote the lyrics. He penned the piece thinking about his parents and their eventual departure while keeping the words more direct rather than subtle. When he approached me to compose the tune, he felt that the song should not only be suitable to be played at any funeral, it should also be equally applicable to common breakups and departures. He was very stringent during the composition process and we had several iterations of the tune before this final version was created. He wanted the song to be good enough to be played over the radio.

I am glad I embarked on this musical project and am quite happy with the finished product including the clip I chose. This song gave me a firmer grasp of the importance of remembering the departed and how their legacy should forever resonate within us. Just like when one releases a lantern into the sky, that conscious act of letting go puts you in control of your grief and emotions as you tell yourself although you have let the physical body go, the memories will always stay with you. Hopefully with this song I can find a new way to reconnect with those memories regardless of how distant they are.



[爱无期限]

词: 陈春井  /   曲: 锦泉

挥挥手   想不让你走

前方的路却已经到尽头
回回頭   想拖延时间

来时的路   怕回不了从前

痛   早已超重   怕承担不起
爱   一点一滴   只怕来不及

挥挥手   想不让你走

前方的路却已经到尽头
牵我的手   如何牵过白头? 

握你的手   怎么缱绻挽留? 

痛   早已超重   怕不能自己
爱   一点一滴   明天的延续
痛   太多过去   放下会可惜
爱   渗透回忆   没有限期

回回頭   想拖延时间

但来时的路   怕回不了从前
没你的日子   时间突然搁浅

没我的相伴   问你是否怀念? 

爱   早已超重   有太多过去
痛   一点一滴   渗透了回忆



No comments: