Sunday, October 16, 2016

Musical journey (75)

Many years ago I used to have a regular gig at a musical café in Singapore (it was called The Ark). It was a very innocent time when a group of like-minded people came together for the love of music to perform. We were all young and full of dreams back then and that was when I met my best pal Phoebee. That was also the time when I composed my greatest songs because that atmosphere was really conducive for musical creativity. I can’t deny that I wanted to use that environment as my stepping stone to stardom and I’m sure many of us and others alike had that same goal. However all of us had to grow up at some point and grow up we really did. Although I haven’t seen some of these people for a long time, there is a core group that still performs and I meet up with them whenever I’m in Singapore, not to mention crashing their gigs from time to time!

This month’s musical journey is a piece I wrote especially for an event that was meant to showcase all of us. It was a concert that the café’s boss put together. Everyone was in a group and each group had a time slot to perform. There were also duets and a segment with a drama serial theme. We had great fun and the night climaxed with the performance of the song I wrote. The unity with everyone singing that song together really made us feel that we could overcome anything. That’s the essence of youth and although I miss that, I’m glad that I’m now equipped with something I didn’t have back then i.e. maturity and security.

The clip I used for the song comprises of the snapshots of the concert programme along with the photograph taken at the end of the event outside the café. The arrangement comes from Yingying (one of those in the group that I still keep in contact with) and I would like to thank her for her help. When the song was debuted, the title was "启航" which means setting sail for the first time but now that it’s no longer played for the first time, I’ve changed it to "起航" which means set sail in a subsequent voyage. This song really brings back the memories of that wonderful period, a period that I will never forget, and I hope you’ll like it.



[起航]

词 / 曲 : 锦泉
 

在我心中
有着等待绽放的梦想
比那盛开的烟花更灿烂


站在舞台上
仿佛身在流星雨的夜晚
我许下了一个最闪亮的愿望


在我心中
燃着星火一般的理想
我知道它存着燎原的力量


就像我的爱
向着你永无休止地扩散
要把这舞台化成最炫最美的地方


让我们射放那最耀眼的光芒
世界从此会变得不一样
牵着好朋友的手
我们一起茁壮成长
总有一天
我们能在空中挥着美丽的翅膀

让我们用音符打倒所有的困难
就算它们一一摆在我们前方
让那载满梦想的木船能够安然无恙地靠岸
让它能向每个光辉的明天

(再准备) 起航




[Set Sail]

In my heart lies a dream waiting to bloom
It’s more spectacular than fireworks
Standing on the stage is like witnessing a meteor shower
That’s where I make this brightest wish

In my heart burns an aspiration as brilliant as the stars
It has the potential to set prairies on fire
Just like my love ever expanding towards you
I want to make this stage the flashiest and prettiest place

Let us shine a light so dazzling that will change this world
Holding the hands of good friends
We’ll grow together from strength to strength
The day will come when we can finally spread our beautiful wings in the sky

Let us conquer all of life’s difficulties with music
As they present themselves in our path
Let this hope-laden ark dock safely in the harbour
So that it can set sail again towards the glorious future


No comments: